Monday, December 13, 2010

Charts and Lace Knitting

Absolutely!  A must have!  Finally broke down and did a written row by row for round 41.  I was making mistakes and having to tink.  Then realized I could make much better time with a chart, so, after struggling with 2 repeats in round 43 AND some dropped stitches . . . . I charted rounds 43, 45 and 47.  Time to start putting in safety/life lines!  I'll put the lines in the straight knit rounds.  All even rounds are basically just knit except when you have a double YO.   Now I have to get up, out of my chair, and go to the printer to get my chart! 

Thank heavens for Stitch & Motif Maker, although I have graph paper that I charted on in the late 70's.  I still have my first knitting graph for an Aran sweater pattern and my symbols still make sence!  My first graph was for a croched, I think, edging, Royal something or other, that had an error in the written pattern.  The only way to figure it out was to graph it.  I stll have the book with that pattern, but not the graph.  I think I made a note in the book, I'm not sure.  I still use graph paper for ideas and notes.  I had never seen a graph before I made mine, so mine read just like the pattern,   I started at the top and worked down the page, instead of the way we do it now.

It is amazing how much we all learn, through the years.  My knitting has improved as a result and believe me, I check my knitting much closer than I used to.  One thing I haven't changed is that I am not afraid to try something new.  That I can attribute directly to Elizabeth Zimmerman.  I learned a lot from her and her books.  I will be forever grateful to that wonderful woman..

No comments:

Post a Comment