Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thinking about my standard techniques

The cast on I prefer is the knitted cast on.  I started using it exclusively for my socks and gradually started using it for almost all of my knitting.  Using the knitted cast on is safe.  You don't have to worry about that tail being long enough for you long tail cast on.  When I decided to do the current vest/cape, I did a bit of research on cast ons.  Darn it, I thought, looks like the best cast on for this project is the long tail cast on.  OK, I figure I need a minimum of 3 finger tips to nose lengths, so I use 4 lengths.  How much yarn, after a cast on of 160 stitches, do I have left?  Would you believe an inch and 1/2.  I think my future will include knitted cast ons for all my basic knitting.  We all have our preferences, and this is one of mine.

I don't remember learning to knit.  Everything that I have, that I knit, only dates back to 1977.  There was one black and gold wool fair isle sweater that I never finished.  It was started for my one and only brother as a ski sweater.  Bear Brand Yarn.  When I finally got back to it the pattern was long gone and I set it aside again.  Finally, in 2009 I frogged it and used the yarn for worsted weight heavy socks for myself.  I must have started that sweater in the 1950's.   I knit in a modified Continental style which makes me think I must have crocheted first.  Since I know I learned to sew in high school, I know I didn't learn there.  When I look back at the various craft books I have I have to assume that I am totally self taught.  I've always been a very very technical person; 1 + 1 must equal 2, angles must be perfect, etc.  In my sewing I remember that even the plaids and stripes had to be a perfect match.  I crochet, embroider, do crewel and cross stitch.  I began charting my crochet and knitting long before it was standard practice.  I remember one crocheted edging that just didn't work, so I graphed it and found the error in the pattern.  Of course that was before computers and the Web.  Now you have the luxury of searching the Internet for corrections.  

I found, in my sewing, that I am not a follower.  If I ran across a great technique in one pattern I would incorporate it into another pattern.  I've always had that independent urge to design.  It started with Stretch n Sew and now I use Sweater Wizard and most all of Carol's other programs.  I bought, over the internet, the new program for sleeves, Interactive Sleeve Wizard,  and promptly downloaded and lost it!  I know I downloaded it but I sure can't find where I saved it!  Maybe I just didn't do it right.  So now I must humble myself and call and beg for a new download code and further humble myself and beg for instructions so I won't lose it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment